- Environmental Compliance
- Environmental Management
- Water Use
- Water Preservation
- Paper Consumption
As a service-based business that depends on paper for countless communications, business proposals, and client deliverables, paper represents a significant portion of CH2M’s materials consumption. Paper consumption includes primarily white paper for use in copiers and printers. We are committed to using technology to reduce paper use, which represents much of the solid waste and material consumption in our offices. Around the world, we are working toward implementing measures for our offices to consume less paper (for example, double-sided printing wherever feasible and on-demand pin printing in North America, United Kingdom, Qatar, and the UAE). In the Middle East offices, paper consumption was reduced to 22.2 kilograms per person (49 pounds), and in North America, paper was reduced by 92 tonnes (101 tons).
The North America EMS has been tracking paper consumption since 2008. For the last couple of years, we have been taking active measures to reduce paper consumption and increase purchase of paper with recycled content. In 2015, we set a goal to decrease paper consumption by 36 tonnes (40 tons) and increase purchase of paper with recycled content to 82 percent. We surpassed our paper reduction goal and achieved a 92‑tonne (101-ton) reduction. Paper use reduction was accomplished through various activities, including cost allocation, continued internal communications about reducing paper use, ongoing focus on internal reprographics centers, and requirements that personal identification numbers be used on multifunction printers to reduce waste from printed pages that are never retrieved by the sender. Reducing our paper consumption resulted in significant reductions in wood use, net energy, and GHG emissions. In 2016, we are striving for an additional 36-tonne (40‑ton) reduction in the amount of paper we consume.
In North America, we purchase approximately 90 percent of our paper through a firmwide master contract. The remaining 10 percent, obtained from myriad regional and local suppliers, is not tracked systematically for reporting. In 2015, we surpassed our goal of 82 percent of all paper having recycled content, with 85 percent of all purchased paper containing recycled content. We achieved this increase through paper standardization, communication, and close monitoring. We have removed recycled content purchase rates as a goal because it has now become a best practice. We will continue to monitor recycled content rates to evaluate the effectiveness of our purchasing practices.
The actual post-consumer recycled content in the various kinds of recycled paper we purchase ranges from 30 to 100 percent. In 2015, we purchased a total of 223 tonnes (246 tons) of paper, which contained 57 tonnes (63 tons) of recycled fiber by weight.
Our goals in Europe were to reduce paper consumption, following good practice guidance, and to monitor both actual absolute reductions and the ratio of paper use per employee.
In the United Kingdom, paper consumption data were recorded in 14 offices. The data for 2010, 2011, and 2012 were rebaselined to exclude four joint-venture offices, which are outside of CH2M’s operational control. In 2014, we saw a decline in UK paper consumption of 5 percent, compared with 2013. In 2015, we saw an increase in paper consumption, to an average of 3,227 sheets per employee; however, this amount is still less than the good practice industry benchmark (and EMS target) of 3,500 sheets.
UK offices manage paper usage through internal communications to raise awareness. They link these communications with internal cost reduction and waste minimization programs—good management of resources makes good business sense. CH2M also rolled out a print management system in 2014, which continues to help optimize paper use in our business. Across the United Kingdom and mainland Europe, paper consumption was 3,241 sheets per employee in 2015.